everyday's tidbits

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I write the songs

A few years ago, I watched Twilite Orchestra in Jogjakarta. Not that I really like classical music or orchestra, but because I was curious: what kind of orhestra was that whose price was very cheap: Rp 25,000, if I am not mistaken. But then I found out that the fund was mostly donated by Sampoerna.

The orchestra was fun: not all music was from classic genre, there was also this original soundtrack of The Sound of Music, sang by Rossa (couldn't compare her voice and appreciation with Julie Andrews', the original singer). There was also Baruna, the vocalist of Elpamas, man, I loved the the voice, his haggard look, and his casual outfit. Addie MS himself was in casual mood, although he wore that tux. All in all, I found the orchestra was very entertaining. The kind that would made commoners like me to get interested in orchestra and classical music.

Now, back to the topic. There was this one song sang by one cute person with great voice, named Ray Jeffrin: I Write the Songs. I found the melody so easy listening, but the words captivated me. I looked and looked later in the net, but I couldn't find it then. Just yesterday, finally, I found it in some cellphone ringtone pages. I am, oh, so ecstatic.

The writer of this song was Barry Johnston, a member of Beach Boys, a tribute for the leader of the band: Brian Wilson, who was a brilliant songwriter, lead vocal, and musician, although he was a drug addicts and suffered mental health problem.

The song was first sung by Captain & Tenille, if I am not mistaken, but they didn't released it in their singles. Then it was sung by David Cassidy, and it hit number 11. Clive Davis (Arista Records) asked Barry Manilow to sing the song. Although with reluctance, which is understandable since people would think that he sang about himself and got him wrong as an egomaniac person and because he didn't write the song himself, Barry released it in his Tryin' to Get the Feeling album (1976), and it immediately became a hit. The song won Grammy for the Song of the Year. Bruce Johnston also recorded this song in his Going Public album. Dayglo Abortions also does a punk/grunge cover of this song. This song has been recorded by over two hundred artists (including Frank Sinatra).

This is the lyric:

I Write The Songs

I've been alive forever, and I wrote the very first song
I put the words and the melodies together
I am music and I write the songs

Chorus
I write the songs that make the whole world sing
I write the songs of love and special things
I write the songs that make the young girls cry
I write the songs, I write the songs

My home lies deep within you
And I've got my own place in your soul
Now, when I look out through your eyes
I'm young again, even though I'm very old

Chorus

Oh my music makes you dance
And gives you spirit to take a chance
And I wrote some rock 'n' roll so you can move
Music fills your heart
Well, that's a real fine place to start
It's from me it's for you
It's from you, it's for me
It's a worldwide symphony

Chorus

I am music and I write the songs


This lyric has been misunderstood by many. People who didn't know the history of this song would think that Barry was a megalomaniac who considered himself as "music". Barry also accused to be redundant, writing a song about "I write a song". The word "I am music" here is not about the writer, but about "music" itself. Beautiful, isn't it?

2 Comments:

  • At 6/16/2006 02:39:00 PM

    bos, lagu nya kan aq yg kasih :D
    http://langsat.blogspot.com

     
  • At 7/18/2006 03:53:00 PM

    iya iya, lupa nulis di blog. buat yang baca, tu lagu didownloadkan oleh orang di atas itu noh. yang mau minta donlotkan tinggal bilang aja hehehehehe....

     

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home